Today I’m going to be sharing one of my family recipes with you. Every summer my mom makes a fruit salad topped with her homemade Poppyseed Dressing. This dressing is so good! It can be used over fruit or salad, and also makes a great dip. It’s both sweet and tangy, and perfect for August.
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons onion juice
- 2 cups salad oil (never olive oil – try Wesson)
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Mix sugar, salt and vinegar
- Add onion juice, stir thoroughly
- Slowly add oil, beating constantly until thick
- Add poppy seeds and mix for a few minutes
- Store in the refrigerator (not near the freezer, try the door)
This recipe sounds simple, but it can be tricky. You should use an electric mixer if you can (on medium). The dressing has a tendency to separate if it becomes too cold or hot, so it may take a few times of practice before you find the right spot to store it. Otherwise, enjoy your dressing, it’s great on anything!