So, yesterday you got to read my rant about how all genres of literature should be respected and enjoyed. Today I’m going to make this a quick little side post in honor of the birthday of the main character in a book series that formed pretty much the entirety of my childhood – Harry Potter.
Happy Birthday Harry!
When I first read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone I was 10 years old (it had taken me a few years to get talked into reading it – I wish I had picked it up sooner), when the final movie was released I was 20, and yes I went to all the midnight premiers (for the movies and the books). Ten of the most formative years of my life were spent in the halls of Hogwarts with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I grew up with them, I loved them, and I learned a ton from them. Harry Potter is truly the book series of my generation. I learned lessons about friendship, courage, embracing who I am, loving my flaws, fighting for my beliefs, equality, love, and good & evil. Harry Potter has defined my generation, and I truly miss the wizarding world. It is a rare gift to love a story as much as I love Harry Potter, and I am truly grateful to have been given such a gift.
So today I thought I’d share with you some of the books I’ve read whose characters I miss to this day:
- Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
- The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
- The White Queen, Philippa Gregory
- Wicked Lovely, Melissa Marr
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin
- Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austin
- Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
- Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
- Romeo & Juliet, William Shakespeare
- Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
- Northanger Abbey, Jane Austin
- The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis
- Lord of The Flies, William Golding
- Night, Elie Wiesel
- Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
- Divergent, Veronica Roth
- The Inferno, Dante Alighieri
- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
And please don’t forget all the YA books by Tamora Pierce!
So, if you’re looking for something new to read, I’d suggest that you choose one of these. 🙂