My relationship with potato salad is complicated. I’m an extremely picky eater, and for most of my life the only potatoes I liked were French Fries and Pringles. However, that all changed this past 4th of July when I got my first taste of Honeybaked Ham’s Potato Salad Side Dish. It was WONDERFUL! I want it right now. Unfortunately, there’s not a Honeybaked in my college town, and I’ve been unable to find a copycat recipe 😦 however, I have discovered some recipes that I enjoy almost as much.
The specific recipe I’m going to share with you today comes from Kaitlyn at One Good Thing. It is a family recipe that the ladies at One Good Thing consider to be The World’s Best Potato Salad, and I’ll agree, it’s delicious.
- 6-8 white rose or red potatoes
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Boil the potatoes until they are just soft – you don’t want them to be too mushy.
- Let them cool, then peel them and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Hard boil the eggs, let cool, then dice.
- Chop the green onions.
- Mix the potatoes, eggs, onions, salt and pepper in a bowl. Chill in the fridge until just before you’re ready to serve.
- Right before you serve the salad, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream and yellow mustard and fold into the potatoes. I like to add about 1/3 at a time until it’s just the right amount.
While this is a bit more time consuming than the recipes I like to post, it’s totally worth it. If you like you can prepare it up to step 5 the night before. And now you have a recipe for your next neighborhood BBQ!