Spring is (thankfully) finally here. Now that you can tuck away your winter coats, it’s time to pull out your springtime essentials. Not sure what those are? Well here’s the list so you can stock up:
- Little White Dress: This dress serves the same function as a LBD, but in a decidedly more spring-y style. Don’t wear until Easter, but be sure you have one on hand.
- Wedges: These are spring’s version of booties. You should at minimum have them in black, brown, and white. But we like mixing some funky colors into the mix as well.
- Cardigans: from work to around the house, these sweaters are essentials. We suggest investing in nice silk ones so that they’ll last forever. You can find great ones on sale at Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and LOFT.
- A Flowing Maxi Skirt: Because nothing says spring like an ethereal skirt blowing in the breeze.
- Light Wash Jeans: Evenings and winter call for your best dark wash denim, but now that the weather has lighted up, so can your jeans. Light washed jeans are perfect for casual events, running errand, or just hanging around the house in style.
Is there anything else you think is a spring essential? Comment below.
As March is winding to a close we here are Smart Modern Women are ready for a day off. The cold weather of the past month has us all itching for a day of unwinding and relaxation. It’s important that every woman takes the time to chill out after she’s made it through a turbulent period in her life. So we’re keeping today’s post short and sweet and encouraging you to visit the spa, take a bubble bath, dive into a good book, or go for a walk. Hell, we’ll even endorse a good ol’ Netflix binge today. So take a hint, and let the stress go.
Since we care too much about your wellness to leave you hanging, here’s a quick list of suggestions for how you should spend your next day off:
- get a massage or facial
- read a book in the quiet of a library
- go to the beach and soak up some sun
- buy a new bubble bath and test it out
- slip into your best pjs and refuse to get out of bed
- watch an old classic movie
- make some tea and write in your journal
- spend an hour meditating
- go to your favorite park and enjoy being outside
- make your favorite cocktail and do some day drinking
- have a girls night in
Let us know what you end up doing.
One of my favorite cosmetic items is nail polish. There are so many different colors and finishes, there’s always one to fit your mood.
But how do you keep them organized? With so many options, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. I personally don’t want to spend hours searching through my collection for the right color, and I bet you agree. So here I present different methods for organizing your polishes:
- Place them on a spice rack, preferably one hung at eye level. This is how most salons display their colors, so if you want to look like a pro, this is the option to choose.
- Arrange them in an open plastic basket. This is my method of choice because it’s portable, can be tucked into a cabinet, and looks pretty.
- Store them in a shoebox. This is definitely a less expensive option, and you can decorate the box however you wish.
- Display them on a cake stand or tray. If your collection isn’t too massive you could arrange them on a stand or tray that you place on your counter or vanity.
- Stash them in a train case. This is a great option if you want to have something portable that can also store all your tools, remover, and creams as well.
Regardless of which method you choose, we recommend grouping polishes by color so that it’s easy to find what you’re looking for. And as always, discard anything gloopy or otherwise expired.